When I was going to university, I didn't realize all the discounts I could get for just being a college student, showing my ID or entering my .edu email address. So, I've compiled a list of five discounts you should know about as a college student - trust me, they'll save you money!
Here are my top five favorite college deals:
1) Both Mac and Dell have discounted rates on their products, especially laptops and tablets, when you enter your school or proof of being a college student. Mac offers up to $200 discount with Education Pricing, and even includes a free $100 iTunes card - something I was so grateful for when I bought all my apps for my MacBook and iPhone. Dell University, as they call it, saves you up to 30% on computers, and 5% on accessories. Some universities even have special pricing for laptops they recommend via both companies, so double check that your school doesn't have deals that could save you hundreds!
2) Amazon Student is another great discount that every college student should take advantage of. It gives you Prime for 6 months for free, and after the first 6 months, then you get a discounted fee of $39 yearly for Prime (originally $80!). You don't have to pay it and continue service after the first six months if you don't want to, but the free six month student service offers free two-day shipping and exclusive college student discounts via Amazon. You can sign up here now for free, just using your .edu email address.
3) Everyone knows about Dropbox! Dropbox is the easiest file transfer system there is, and it makes sharing projects, photos and files so much easier among classmates, friends and family. If you enter your .edu email address, Dropbox gives you 3GB of extra space (because they know we college kids need it..). Thanks, Dropbox - sign up here.
4) If it's one thing I abused this semester, it was online shopping, and then I found StudentRate. StudentRate is a website where you sign up with your .edu email address and get access to hundreds of discounts from stores that you'd regularly shop at like Forever 21, Boohoo, Urban Outfitters, Toms and more. It's the best kept college secret to save money! When you sign up with your college email, you get specific college deals for your school (I got an Au Bon discount because my school has an AuBon!)
5) Another website a lot like StudentRate is College Budget, which also has a long list of clients that provide amazing discounts. College Budget focuses more on the product than the seller, so think of it as a Groupon for college kids. You can sign up here.
Bet you never thought that college ID was useful for more than a room key, huh? Get to saving!
What are your favorite places to save with your college ID?