So can you believe that 2013 is almost over? I'm a little stunned myself.. 2013 started as a crazy year. I was in college, having fun and learning a lot along the way, and I can't say that 2013 wasn't a year to learn. I've learned so much throughout the year. I've gained tons of friends, lost a couple and realized how important some relationships are to me. I've opened my mind, my heart and my soul to accept change as it came, to let people in and to discover new things. And I'm super proud to say I've done all of that in 2013. A lot of things came about in 2013 that I wasn't expecting: new relationships, old friendships, and a lot of learning lessons, and I don't think I would have had it any other way.
One of the most important things to happen to me in 2013 was this blog. I never would have come this far with it if it wasn't for the positive feedback I get everyday. I'm so beyond proud of how far The Caro Diaries has come in 9 months, and I'm so excited for it to grow over the next year and hopefully many more. If it wasn't for all the texts, messages and comments I got after I wrote my first post in April, I wouldn't have wrote my second one in May, and I certainly wouldn't have written almost everyday in June, July and August. Although I've been a really bad blogger lately, it's getting those messages and the comments from other bloggers and friends (IRL ones too!) that encourages me to post another one. I'm so excited to be entering 2014 knowing how far I still have to go, and to be embarking on the journey to get there!
So, to recap my year: here are my top 13 posts of 2013.
top three most-read posts:1) Makeup Hacks Every Girl Should Know: I never expected this one to be so popular, but everyone seems to love it and find it! It's still one of my most popular posts every month to this day!
2) The 30-book Challenge: I never expected people to like my book choices as much as they did, and somehow they keep coming back! I'll admit - I never read all 30 books but the year's not over yet! I'm almost done :)
3) Gifts for the Sorority Girl on your List: This is one of my more recent posts, and I'm in shock how much it turns up on my stats feed. It's so funny to see the google searches that land them on my blog - even today I got "christmas gifts for a sorority girl" - Christmas was last week, y'all!
top three most useful posts:
Y'all know how much I love helping out college kids - i'm a college kid myself! So I'm showcasing my three most "useful" college posts from this year!
4) discounts every college kid should know about: it's obvious why this one is as popular as it is.. college kids love saving money! Hey, me too - that's why I wrote the post!
5) the items you shouldn't forget when packing for college: I've been there. I forgot them too, and it would have saved me a shit ton of money if I packed them in the first place - so I thought this post would be a good idea. I loved the positive feedback on this one!
6) things to do the summer before college: this was one of my more controversial posts, and by controversial I mean I told people to break up with their boyfriends - rough! I seriously had friends calling me cussing me and asking me if I thought they'd be the turkey dump! (oh, and just so you know.. they were.)
top three fashion posts:
I'm a self-proclaimed fashion whore, but I'm a college student sticking to my budget so I had some fun with my fashion finds this year. I didn't share as much as I'd like to, but here are some of my faves!
7) clothes you need for college: I had a lot of fun putting these together - I got to think to all of the outfits I wear on a regular basis - class, frat parties, clubs, even costume parties - and put it all together, which was awesome!
8) my 10 fall wardrobe essentials: I'm pretty new to this "Fall" thing - actually I'm pretty new to this whole seasons thing. Back home, the only season is hot and we have it year round, so preparing for my first fall in 2012 was a rough one to say the least. At least I've learned to adapt to the weather, and especially the fashion - and I'm betraying Trinidad and the Caribbean by saying fall's my fave season!
9) steal their style with monogrammed necklaces: Although this was a sponsored post, I had a lot of fun putting it together and writing this one. I got to show off my fave necklace (it never leaves my neck - seriously), and I got to surf Pinterest - what more can I want in a post?! My favorite part is definitely people messaging me to tell me that they ordered the necklace themselves and they love it! It makes me so happy to know people actually listen to me! (I'm the last of six, so that NEVER happens!)
top three personal posts:I barely got too personal on the blog this year, except for a couple Wednesday Wisdoms here and there, but there are some posts that stand out more than others and I'm sharing them with you.
10) Wednesday Wisdom on Friendship: this post hurt a lot for me to write, and even reading it over months later, it still hurts. It was a topic that was really close to my heart. I learned a lot about friendship in 2013, and this being one of the most important lessons: sometimes, you just have to let go.
11) Home Is Where The Heart Is: this was actually the first real post I ever wrote, and it got me a lot of great feedback. I remember writing it clearly, and just hitting post and waking up the next morning to texts from friends saying they loved it, and running into friends on the quad who said I inspired them to start their own blogs - and it made me feel awesome. So here's a little TBT for you all :)
12) That Time I Joined a Sorority: This was also a more recent post, but I was so excited after joining Alpha Chi Omega that the excitedness just transferred over into my writing and you can really see it there. It was the first post about my sorority, and all of the feedback I got from sisters was awesome and really made me feel at home. Up to now, my sisters support my blog 1000% and it's an amazing feeling - feeling so at home, and belonging somewhere so perfectly.
my favorite post of the year:
It's difficult for me to choose one post that's my favorite, but I'm choosing a post that's really different from what I'm used to. I did something completely different, inspired by one of my favorite bloggers Sarah. So in case you missed it, here's number 13.
13) Things I Just Can't Seem to Get.
Have an amazing New Year's Eve, everyone! And an even better 2014. I'll see you crazy kids next year! (That seriously never gets old!)