We all know from experience - there's nothing worse than a hangover. Literally, the world sucks when you're hungover and you regret every sip and every single shot you took the night before. But why?
I grew up in the Caribbean, so I am no stranger to alcohol, and especially hangovers. Personally, I'm a champagne girl. Give me an option between champagne and wine and I'll go straight for the champagne. Don't even try to get me to drink red wine cause that's just not gonna happen - no matter how healthy it is for me. I'm a woman of my ways - don't try to change me. But let's be real, I'm a college student - I can't afford champagne on a regular basis (or at all), but luckily, there are some really good, affordable rosé available. Rosé is generally cheaper than champagne, and it comes in a delightful pink color.
According to the Huffington Post, the color of rosé wines can range from a pale coral to a bright raspberry hue. This color is traditionally achieved by letting red wine grapes stay in contact with their skins so they take on a light pink blush, although wine makers have experimented with other methods. Marks and Spencer creates their sparkling rosé wine by mixing the Prosecco grape with some Raboso, while a more controversial way that involves mixing white wine with a dash of red has sparked debates in the European Union.
Since the production of rosé isn’t as exclusive as that of champagne, rosé usually sells for a fraction of the latter’s price. It’s the ideal drink for people who want the elegance of champagne without the champagne price tag. So just in case you ever drink a little too much champagne or wine, or let's be honest, hard liquor or beer, or if you just took one too many shots, this post is for you.
Hangovers have no judgement. They affect every type of person from every race, culture, belief and age. They affect males, they affect females, they even affect animals - don't waste your alcohol on dogs. Hangovers love to rear their ugly head, and rain on your parade, and it sucks.. big time. So what can we do to cure them?
1) drink water: it's an oldie, but it's a goodie. it's true - we're hungover because of a lack of water - the alcohol dehydrates us and makes us feel like crap. People suggest that for every drink you have, you drink a glass of water. It's supposedly the holy grail of preventing hangovers but I always forget to try - so if you do, let me know if that works!
2) greasy food: sorry to those who are on a diet, but your kale salad won't help you now. Head to the nearest McDonalds and get yourself the biggest burger you can find and a large fries cause for some reason or the other, the greasy food helps your hangover.
3) ginger ale: there's no proven fact that this works, but ginger ale is said to cure upset stomachs, so to help you keep down what should stay down, drink some schweppes and thank me later.
4) sleep it off: that's right - sleep. but by no means should you sleep if you're at work - that's just asking to get fired! But as soon as you can, climb into your bed and take a nap and when you wake up you may realize you're more refreshed than you imagined.
5) drink some more: the only way to not be stale drunk is to keep drinking.. i don't recommend this one though.
6) exercise: i'm not saying to go run a marathon, but go for a walk around the block or do some yoga - the exercise actually helps you get over your hangover. just make sure you're keeping hydrated while doing it.
7) toast: you know when you're sick and the only thing you can keep down is toast.. yeah the same goes for hangovers and it actually really helps. it's supposed to bring your blood sugar level back up and have you feeling better.
Happy Hangovers, y'all! Hope you don't drink too much.