This is a part of my Ballin' on a Budget series, where I share tips, tricks and best-kept secrets to sticking to a budget while living your best life!
This post is sponsored by Groupon. All opinions are my own.
Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Caro Diaries!
In the past, I've made my fair share of large purchases. Between expensive flights, professional cameras and designer clothing, I've become somewhat of a pro on big clicks and hard hits to my bank account. But does that stop me from making these purchases? Absolutely not... I've just started to shop smarter. So today, I'm sharing five ways I've learned to save money on big purchases!
1) Use PriceBlink to instantly compare prices // Available as a plugin extension for Chrome, Safari and Firefox, this tool is genius! When shopping, it instantly pops up at the top of your screen to show you the lowest price it's available for online and shows you average ratings online so you know you're making a good purchase on the product!
2) Consider an older model // Especially when it comes to technology, there usually aren't massive changes between models. For cameras that release a newer product every single year, the differences usually are a .5" larger screen and one or two megapixels, which, unless you're a professional photographer, doesn't make that big of a difference. Now, I'm not telling you to ditch the iPhone 7 for the original iPhone... but picking up the iPhone 6S at a time when the 7 is hot will save you hundreds of dollars. Dead set on this model? Search online for a used (like new) or refurbished version of the product, it'll save you hundreds and you're likely to be unable to tell the difference.
3) Always check for coupons // Online shopping without utilizing coupons is honestly so dumb, because at any given time, there are at least two coupons that will apply to your order. Whether it's free shipping, 10 percent off or sometimes even more, every little dollar counts when it comes to saving. Plus, saving 10 percent on a purchase of $1000 is $100 back in your pocket...
4) Use a card with rewards // Most banks and credit cards offer some sort of rewards for purchases. When making big purchases, use a credit card with rewards like airline miles, cash back or purchase points that can be redeemed. So while you're not actually saving money on the purchase, you're getting something back and you're getting more bang for your buck.
5) Utilize Groupon // I'm sure you've heard of Groupon already.. haven't we all! It's the go-to site for good deals on travel packages, spa trips and must-do activities for every season. But did you know that Groupon has a section called Groupon Goods that has daily flash sales with products that you actually want! Everything from technology to makeup to clothes and beyond... it's definitely a first stop when shopping, especially because there are new deals every single day!
So, happy online shopping! What's on your list?
What are your favorite ways to save money while shopping? Let me know in the comments below!